Monday, August 20, 2007

Why I Homeschool....

Thoughts of Homeschooling my children started when my oldest was only a year old. I was reading James Dobson's Bringing up Boys. In it he stated that he believed the best thing for boys was homeschooling at least the first couple years. I mentioned this to my husband, Big T, and he was constantly telling me about a program that he would hear on the way to work about homeschooling. He was listening to Focus on the Family and seemed to keep hearing positive things about homeschooling. I really struggled with committing to homeschooling initially. I really argued a little with God, but I truly felt that this is what God wanted me to do. This did not fit into what I had imagined for my life. Big T was really on board with homeschooling and encouraged me into it. He explained how much he would have loved being homeschooled as a child. So, I continued to research homeschooling and pray. The more I read about homeschooling the more convinced I was that this was what I wanted for my boys. Now we are into our first year and I love it. It is so much better than I ever expected. I'm so excited about all the fun things that we will learn about together. I love that my boys will be each other's best friend. I also feel that the best way to fulfill my God given purpose as a parent is to homeschool. "And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart: And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up. "Deuteronomy 6:6-7 So, this is my #1 reason for homeschooling. I have seen many more reasons to homeschool since learning and reading more about homeschooling. But, I feel that God calling me to homeschool is the most important reason there is.

Amy

No comments: